Saturday, March 5, 2011

So, I usually don’t post stuff about me but I wanted to share what’s been going on these past two months.  I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.  Sounds funny and awful, but basically it’s a thyroid disorder.  The body’s immune cells mistakenly attack the thyroid gland, damaging thyroid cells and the gland’s ability to produce thyroid hormones.  Having had a thyroid problem for 3 years now, I’m SO happy to finally have an answer of WHY I have had the problem!  But how I’ve come to find this out has been a trying journey these past couple of months.  It all came to a head on Valentines day, I felt terrible.  So bad in fact I thought I was pregnant, seriously.  I called my OBGYN office to get a test done, I had to know ASAP, and while they did the test they did a thyroid test to see how that was doing.  Well the pregnancy test was negative (thank goodness) but thyroid was off.  When I say off, way off, so much so we thought it could have been a lab error (normal TSH level is a 5-7, mine was 131).  Well, it wasn’t and I was immediately placed back on my medicine.  Now after three weeks of being on medication, I’m feeling back to my regular self.  It takes a while for the symptoms (your thyroid controls the way your body uses energy, which effects basically every part of your body) to fully show themselves, and it has taken a while for them to subside.  I’m SO ready to get “me” back, I can’t even explain it!  I’ll continue to have  blood work done every four weeks for a while while we figure out what hormone level I need.  Sorry to everyone I haven’t talked with lately because I’ve been in the “funk”, I promise I haven’t forgotten or don’t care!  Everyday gets a little better and I’m so thankful for that, I’ll be back to “myself” in no time!!! YAY

1 comment:

Chollet said...

My goodness. So glad you're getting back on track, and so sorry you've been going through this! I know I told you this before, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to help... even if it's just last minute babysitting!