Monday, July 16, 2012

Chicago

We headed up to Chicago for my cousin Matt’s wedding.  I had never been and since the wedding was the weekend before my birthday I asked that this be my “present.”  This weekend was also pretty special for the Rowland family, it was the first time we had all gotten together with everyone for a celebration since Stevie’s funeral.  Needless to say, it was going to be a very special weekend and one I was really looking forward to!  We left SUPER early Friday morning (ie, got to Chicago at 7:30am) and hit the ground running.  I had my first experience on the L, thanks to my navigator V!

IMG_4209

We headed to the hotel to drop off our bags and then would head out for breakfast.  While checking in we ran into a cousins and aunts/uncles, and proceeded to take up the entire lobby catching up!  We got a group together, headed to breakfast, then V and I decided to check out The Magnificent Mile which was a block from our hotel. 

IMG_0539

John Hancock Building

IMG_0527IMG_0538

After some retail therapy, thankful that my husband likes shopping sometimes, we met up with more family and ate some Chicago style pizza at Pizzeria Uno.

IMG_0544IMG_4214

It was delicious!  One slice and you were pretty full

IMG_4217

family!

IMG_4230

That night we headed to the rehearsal dinner at Sunda.  The drinks were flowing, the food was out of this world, and the company was great!  I grabbed a quick photo of the Rowland men

Keith (uncle), Nathan (cousin), Ben (cousin), Matt (cousin), Dad! (Kenny)

IMG_4232

Sweet Katie kept Vaughn and I entertained throughout the dinner.  We might have left the girls at home this trip, but Katie quickly became our adopted child for the weekend events :)

IMG_4233

After dinner we headed to Dana Hotel Sky Bar for more fun with the bride and groom-to-be.  It was an incredibly LONG day, but when you only have a few hours in a new city and with family members you don’t see often, you gotta get it in when you can I say!

The next day we woke up at 6:00am (7:00am Columbia time) and laughed, the girls have sleep trained up well.  We rolled back over and slept some more, it was wonderful!  A few text messages went out and breakfast was planned at the Grand Luxe Café.  It quickly became apparent that any form of eating decently healthy on this trip was just not going to happen.  Since time was limited, and I wanted to see the entire city, we decided to go on a river architectural cruise.  I’m so glad we did it, loved getting a view of the city we wouldn’t have been able to get otherwise.

IMG_4241

Mom and Dad

IMG_4247

Keith and Linda

IMG_4248

Vaughn and Me

IMG_4249

After the tour, and still super full from breakfast, we wanted to do some walking.  I have always wanted to see The Bean, or Cloud Gate at Millennium Park so we took this opportunity to do it.

IMG_0575

hate that his eyes are closed… boo

IMG_0577

Inside the bean, looking up

IMG_0578

The one thing on Vaughn’s list to see/do was visit the Big Star, a restaurant he and his buddies came across while on a bachelors trip and now one of his favorite bars.  It required up to take the L, but I loved walking around seeing more of Chicago

IMG_0583IMG_0584

IMG_0593IMG_0600

Having drinks at the Big Star!

IMG_4266

passed this on the way back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding

IMG_4269

After a quick power nap, and boy did we need it, we got ready for the wedding.  It was only two blocks from the hotel, awesome, at the Newberry Library.  Matt and Lisa’s original plan was to have it outside in a garden across the street, but the weather had different ideas so it was moved to the library's foyer.  The wedding was stunning, I cried most of the way through it, I’m a sap when it comes to weddings and family, I blame my kids.  (side note: I can no longer attend a wedding and not picture one of our girls.  Not sure I’ll be able to hold myself together when I see Vaughn walking one of them down the aisle and ‘giving’ them away.)

IMG_0627

Katie served as a flower girl, and she loved her “wedding dress”

IMG_0609 copy

Security was super tight, Jackson took his role very seriously

IMG_0611IMG_4273IMG_0602IMG_0616

Aunt Ellen, Dad and Uncle Keith

IMG_0624IMG_4271

After a cocktail hour it was time to eat and celebrate with newlyweds (who I FAILED to get a picture of, how terrible!)  But I did have this sweet girl with me

IMG_4290

Vaughn and I joked that we had never had so much fun in a library before

IMG_4328

Then, at around 11:30, a Southern Mac and Cheese truck pulled up.  Seriously.  You could get whatever type of mac and cheese you wanted, and it was amazing- and I’m pretty sure it was great even if I hadn’t had a multitude of drinks

IMG_4333

Best Papa around

IMG_4336

I did grab this shot of the best man, groom, and mom while grabbing mac and cheese

IMG_4337

After saying our goodbyes until next times, we headed back to the hotel.  The night flew by, as do most fun events, and it was one for the books.  I hated leaving everyone, but I was so thankful I got to go and be a part of it.  I was also thankful I got spend time with our  family for a happy occasion, that alone brings tears to my eyes, it was much needed.  Missing everyone like crazy and already looking forward to Rowland Beach week, where we’ll all be back together again!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

you looked amazing! seems like you guys had a lot of fun there. thanks for sharing!

Abel Zavala said...

I'm originally from Chicago, so am happy to see you enjoying some time in my city as well as being with your family.

Next time you both head there, here are a couple of recommendations:

Check out the Chicago Film Tour, which is a bus taking you through different places where Chicago has been featured in film.

Also, Portillo's Hot Dogs, right across the street from the Rock N Roll McDonald's.

I'm from the South Side, so for some more good pizza (not arguing on your choice, just a recommendation) is Beggar's Pizza. Most of them are on the south side/south suburbs.

If you have a chance to drive to Indiana, go to the Albanese Candy Factory in Merrilville, IN, about 30-45 minutes south.

Finally, if you have about 3 or 4 days in Chicago, go to the Anderson Japanese Gardens in Rockford, IL. It's about a 3 hour drive from the city. Just found out about it a few years ago and had a really nice time.