Monday, July 5, 2010

Granger Girls on the Go

Callie and I have been on the go!  Last week she and I took a trip up north with my parents to Washington, DC and Gettysburg, PA.  The main purpose of the trip was for a Rowland Reunion in Gettysburg, but we went a couple of days early to visit the nations Capital, and boy did we pack it in!  We left Wednesday morning from Columbia at 6:20AM and arrived in Washington, DC at 7:30AM.  We immediately hit the ground walking for our DC adventure.  We planned to do the Smithsonian the entire day, and that’s exactly what we did. First stop, Air and Space…IMG_0666 I must say, this was not my first choice in museums, but it was my dad’s, so we went and I was amazed by what he already knew!  I had no clue my dad knew so much about planes- he could have put the whole place together and I wouldn’t have been surprised…  IMG_0677 Callie was a trooper, and she actually learned what WWII planes “did”.  By that I mean, she now when asked “What does an airplane do?” She’ll take her hand and move it like an airplane taking off and then pump her fist in the air- meaning- the airplanes would take off and then shoot at the bad guys (pumping of the fist)…  yeah, nice… We left dad at one point to see the kids hands on part of the museum which was great for Callie.  She got to touch everything- even “drive” a plane!

Rowland Reunion-DC-1Rowland Reunion-DC-2Next stop was the Natural History Museum.  This is where the dinosaurs are- love! We got to see the T-Rex…IMG_0708 new dinosaur bones…IMG_0717 and Callie’s face loving it all! IMG_0720 In this museum is the Hope Diamond and other gems.  I took a picture of the Hope Diamond and emailed it to Vaughn and said it would be the perfect upgrade… I didn’t get a response back… worth a shot though!IMG_0723 There was also an area that showed off some “animals”, we saw this sign- so true… hahahaIMG_0724 One thing we did notice while we were there was the lack of easy access for strollers/wheelchairs.  Yes, they were available, but WAY out of the way.  So Callie was treaded like a princess and her “chariot” was carried up and down lots of stairs while we were there… (she’s even napping in this shot- I was totally jealous)IMG_0732 The next and last Smithsonian stop was American history and by far my favorite, and I think Callie’s too.  She was able to run around a little more than the other two, and totally took advantage of her freedom.

We read up on railroads…Rowland Reunion-DC Talked to some of the exhibits…IMG_0750 Followed Papa around…IMG_0777 And rested our feet for a bit…IMG_0774 Some of my favorite parts were seeing the Ruby Slippers from the Wizard of Oz…IMG_0783 Meeting Kermit the Frog…IMG_0790 And seeing President Lincoln’s top hat…IMG_0793 In fact, the Abe Lincoln exhibit they had set up was amazing.  I especially loved this quote… as a parent this is so true- I would love for my girls to grow up and learn more than I ever did, but still would love for them to have some fun on the way! :)IMG_0794 IMG_0795After seeing all that could be seen we were exhausted and headed back to the hotel to kick up our feet for a minute, just to then head out and eat dinner!  I’m getting exhausted again just thinking about all we did in just this one day- and their were 4 more just like it!  

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What fun, Erin! Can't wait to hear about how the rest of the trip went!