Friday, August 26, 2011

slow down

I laid in bed last night not being able to sleep full of thoughts of our girls.  I was overcome by how lucky we are to have such amazing kids, God knew exactly what he was doing when he put these girls in our lives.  But I couldn’t help but pray for it all to slow down, or pause just the way it is for a brief second.  Not to completely stop because I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us, but just to hold on a bit, it’s moving a little too fast.  I wanted so bad to rewind and squeeze Callie’s little baby self one more time.  To rock Chloe in her glider as a new born again, I loved the way she felt in my arms and even how she smelled.  How are my babies almost 3 and 1?!  I also know it won’t be the last time I ever think or yearn for those moments again, doesn’t every mom?  While I thought about that, I thought of my own mother.  Does she now ever wish to take a peak back to when my brother and I were little and squeeze us?  I feel sure she does, even if she hasn’t said so.  I pray that the girls will understand this sentimental side of me as they get older and let me hug and kiss them often.  Callie already knows how I feel about this, I ask her often to slow down growing up, her response “Nope, I gotta grow up momma!”  I then tell her she can as long as she still gives me hugs and kisses, she says “Okay! Muah!”  Love it.  I know life isn’t always fair, and I guess this is one of those things. It’s just not fair that we get these amazing kids and it flys by while they are with us.  So even though time will keep moving whether I want it to or not, I know I’m blessed with these two girls and any moment I have with them is precious and ones I’m thankful for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure do know how to make a grown woman cry!! I love you, Erin, for the baby girl of mine you will always be and for the loving mother you are. There is no greater joy than being a mother, as you now know, but then.....there is this new joy of watching one's child become a wonderful parent. I love you always, Mom

Katherine said...

So sweet. Those are some lucky little girls.

lucialuschek said...

oh gosh... water works... this was a very sweet post and I definitely share the same sentiments :) Love you

CamLarson said...

Erin, what a sweet, sweet post.... I'm so glad I read it. I've been getting an extra squeeze from James every time I think about it. You know I've been in such a huge rush for the "next steps" that I haven't been enjoying my little man as much as I should as he is right now. So THANK YOU for posting this! :)